Monday, September 10, 2012

Project No 1 : The City Bike

The very first project was going to be a complete build-up.  I had decided to put together a city-bike.  A bike that I would enjoy moving around with in a casual manner, serving my morning rides and looking great while I make a pit stop at the coffee shop.  No lycra padded bicycle tights, no clips, gloves or racing sunglasses… but just casual easy attire with only my cycling helmet as a sign that I was a cyclist if I’m off my bike.

I got some cool ideas thanks to Tokyo Bikes. Their range of city bikes are beautiful and minimalist serving true to the nature of casualness and effortless pleasures on two-wheels.

3tshop320TokyoBike06-590x440

Tokyo Bike’s seemingly effortless bicycle culture setting had me inspired right from the start.  In contrast with the bike messenger’s of New York’s rushed and harried style of riding, TB’s styling was inspiring for my attempts to reflect a casual and “al-fresco” cafe experience.  I could almost say I was coining the term “cafe-bike”.

Well, as much as the fixie bike is one of the main essential style of this genre, per se, I felt I wanted a versatile ride, a city-bike with all the necessary gearing.  Plus, it was going to help me learn what I needed to anyhow.

Tokyo-Bike-Sport_yellowtraceI kind of liked TB’s Sport bike – a coined term by TB despite more suitable for commuting in the city.  What I liked about the bike :

  1. Understated lines – clean and simple
  2. Uncluttered setup – all the essentials of a bike and nothing else
  3. Classic – a classic frame
  4. Single toned – matte black and shiny bits only where you need it.
  5. No distracting designs – seems like all new bikes nowadays compete for big bold splashes of colours, text and logos… mostly superficial of you ask me… :)

So, I headed out to my local bike mechanic. I had known this fella from my first beginner road bike.  Uncle Ong who owns an old style “papa-mama” bicycle shop (Well, that’s what I think of it as… ;P) I remembered his shop as having piles of old bicycle parts, his proud collection over the years albeit piled on like a mound of old junks.  But, don’t be misled by it’s outlook, hidden gems can be found among these, should you have the patience (and a high tolerance for dirt, grime and grease.. of course… :P

2012-07-23 18.26.342012-07-23 18.25.58

Scary, right?! :)  Well, anyway I was here to get a bike “built”.  So it started… Uncle Ong had a quick chat with me about what I wanted and the look I wanted to go for.  Sharing Tokyo Bike’s Sports edition pick, Uncle got the idea right at the start and after confirming the start of the build, the work began…

Yeah, I was excited, but at the same time I know this was going to be a slow process… No bike in a day or two, but it’ll probably take a month simply because uncle wanted to get some new parts and maybe sieve through the pile you see above to get what I need… lol. ;) But, no problem, I’ll wait and see how the bike comes together.

Okay, next update I’ll share some of the progress pics!  Wohooo! I’m on my way…

No comments:

Post a Comment